Monday, September 29, 2014

Day 64 – Salt Lake City, UT to Rawlins, WY

We began bonding with I-80 today. It’s a relationship that will last four days (or when we get to Illinois).

The Route
Drive two blocks from the campground to the I-80 entrance ramp, get on I-80 east and drive 297 miles to Rawlins.

About the Day
The weather was pretty good to us. It was mostly sunny and cool. We drove through a few brief showers.

It was cool with a 12 mph wind when we got to Rawlins. It’s supposed to get down to 38° tonight and reach 57° tomorrow ... brrr.

Along the Way
Terrain and population changes were very interesting. Most of yesterday’s sightseeing involved human artistry in a busy area. Today we saw nature’s creativity in the wilderness.
Crossing the Wasatch Mountains on I-80 east
2002 Olympic ski jumps at Park City
The terrain changes along I-80 were dramatic.
Wyoming welcomed us with prairie.
Wow! I-80 in Wyoming is long and straight.
We could see rain coming from far away.
Divided tunnels on I-80 near Green River
Each summit revealed something new.
The weather brought some exciting views.

The Campground
We’re staying at Western Hills Campground in Rawlins. It’s a year-round campground in a rugged, remote area. They offer excellent amenities and tend everything very nicely. However, the sites are laid out on a gravel parking lot. We got everything but atmosphere.

What a difference a day makes ...
Yesterday
Today
Site #28

Tomorrow
We're a bit undecided. We may stay on I-80 or take an alternate route to Laramie on the Snowy Range Scenic Byway.

No comments:

Post a Comment